Where’s Joe?’ Republicans claim the president is taking a ‘vacation’ at Camp David with radio silence all Sunday while chaos unfolds in Afghanistan following his troop withdrawal
- Republicans lashed out at Joe Biden for going on ‘vacation’ while the Taliban took over the majority of Afghanistan, including Kabul on Sunday
- Jim Jordan said, ‘Why is Joe Biden on vacation, why hasn’t his administration taken a single question? This is an embarrassment’
- Senator Tom Cotton demanded Biden ‘immediately address the nation’
- The House House did release an image of Biden on a briefing call at Camp David
- ‘This morning, the President and Vice President met with their national security team and senior officials to hear updates on [Afghanistan],’ it was captioned
- In just over a week the Taliban was able to take control of 28 of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces and breach the capital city of Kabul
- Biden and first lady Jill left on Friday for Camp David, a presidential work and leisure retreat. They will remain there until Wednesday
Biden sent out a statement on Saturday afternoon on the unfolding crisis – where he announced 5,000 troops would be deployed to help with evacuations and also blamed predecessor Donald Trump for the disastrous withdrawal.
Since then, the president has not released any written or verbal statements or remarks.
The White House did, however, tweet an image of Biden being briefed via video chat at Camp David on Sunday about the ongoing developments in Afghanistan.
‘This morning, the President and Vice President met with their national security team and senior officials to hear updates on the draw down of our civilian personnel in Afghanistan, evacuations of SIV applicants and other Afghan allies, and the ongoing security situation in Kabul,’ the Sunday afternoon tweet read.
Republican Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik wrote of Biden: ‘America is in crisis. And Joe Biden is on vacation.’
‘No person who calls themselves the President of the United States should be on vacation while the world crumbles down around them. The dereliction of duty continues…’ Colorado Republican Representative Lauren Boebert tweeted of Biden.
Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton accused Biden of ‘hiding’.
‘Why is Joe Biden in hiding?’ he questioned on Twitter. ‘He should immediately address the nation and answer for the catastrophic situation in Afghanistan. Conference calls between cabinet secretaries and senators don’t cut it in a crisis.’
The president and first lady Jill Biden departed for Camp David on Friday where they will remain until Wednesday.
Historically, the military installation in the outskirts of Washington, D.C. has been used for both work and relaxation retreats by U.S. presidents. The facilities are fully equipped with secure video-conferencing technology.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said last week that Biden ‘likes Camp David.’
‘It’s a place to be outside, spend time with family and certainly has beautiful, beautiful scenery there,’ she said.
Rep. Jim Banks referenced the lawmaker briefing call with Biden military officials on Sunday, claiming it made it clear they were unprepared for the swift Taliban takeover