‘Let’s not jump to conclusions’: Joe Biden’s acting White House budget director REFUSES to rule out sending more US money to Wuhan lab until science proves if it leaked coronavirus
- Shalanda Young faced questions from lawmakers about Joe Biden’s budget proposal during a Budget Committee hearing Wednesday
- She was asked by House Budget Committee ranking member Jason Smith about federal funds going to the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China
- Young said she would ‘never make that commitment’ to cut all future funding to the lab and urged people to wait for the outcome of Biden’s probe
- There are growing concerns that COVID-19 originated in the Wuhan lab during research into bat coronaviruses
- Some scientists believe the virus is a natural one that leaked accidentally – while others suggest it may have been genetically modified
- US gave at least $826,000 over the last 5 years to the lab for such research
House Budget Committee ranking member Jason Smith asked Young what she was doing to ‘get to the bottom’ of the ties between US funding and the lab in Wuhan.
Smith, a Republican, said it had become ‘increasingly evident that COVID-19 originated from a lab in Wuhan, China.’
‘What are you doing to get to the bottom of the clear link between federal funding and the Wuhan lab?’ he asked Young.
The budget boss urged him to await the outcome of the 90-day investigation launched by Biden last month into whether the virus was released by the lab.
But Smith continued to push for an answer around the use of US money for such research.
‘So let me ask you this, can you commit that American dollars will never be used to fund such research going forward from this budget?’ he asked.
Young skirted around the question again and refused to confirm either way.
‘Congressman, I started my career at NIH,’ she replied.
‘I would never, you know, make that commitment, as someone who believes we need to be led by science, and we certainly need to wait [for] this review before we jump to conclusions.’
House Republicans took to Twitter to slam Young’s lack of commitment on the issue.
‘The Acting OMB Director refused to say that President Biden’s budget would NOT fund the Wuhan Institute of Virology,’ the caucus tweeted.
‘YOUR tax dollars should not be used to fund the Chinese lab where COVID-19 possibly originated from.’
OPINION: We invite your written comments below.
AND/OR: What do you think? Call 410 656-1123 we will try to use your comments in our next broadcast: